toolbar builder Bazo's Jist: An Evening At Akwa Ibom

Sunday 22 May 2011

An Evening At Akwa Ibom

The nature of my work has availed me the opportunity of visiting several towns in Nigeria. Most recently I was in  Akwa Ibom in Uyo state.

Having just concluded my work with the bank this week, we decided to socialize with the town. Like they say, 'pleasure after business'. The staff of the bank, had just had their end of financial year party, which we attended. One of the unit heads decided to show my colleague and I a nice time. I must add here, that the 'Oga' was already intoxicated by now. The first problem we had, was where to go to. Chux, who is married to Oga's back-up had somewhere in mind, but Oga had different plans. An argument ensued, which really was leading no where. My colleague and I, being strangers to the town, only looking for a good time, were down for whatever. Now Oga being the 'Oga' had his way.

First stop was some place called Lounge Uno. Really nice looking place. Classy. Problem was, we got there too early. The place was empty. We were the only ones there. Another argument of, 'I told you so' began. It was hilarious. I mean all sorts of dialects were used. But it ended with what was to become a popular statement through out the evening, 'Nigga please'. Need I say, it was Oga who said this with his Akwa Ibom accent. We now decided to actually ask ourselves what exactly we were looking for. Oga suggested that girls should be arranged for my colleague and I, and ofcos some more alcohol. We thought that sounded like a great idea, only that we did not think the idea of having prostitutes would be fun. We decided to go somewhere else, with a bit of life and just generally have fun.

Eventually we ended up somewhere in an area called Maitama, at a restaurant to eat. I quickly ordered a bottle of cold fanta.. I needed that sugar in my system. Oga looked at me (now drinking my fanta), and screamed, 'NIGGA PLEASE!!'. He went on, 'Do you have any idea what this looks like?'. I had no idea where he was going with this. 'We could as well be at Mr. Biggs, with meat pie and coke, and people would be saying, "look at those faggy niggas". I ain't no faggy nigga'. He mumbled a bunch of other anecdotes to buttress his point. A few of the phrases in his native dialect, need I add with his Akwa Ibom accent. Dude was so hilarious, he made us all laugh very hard.

We eventually got some alcohol, a few more laughs and retired to our hotel rooms. Not the kind of fun I was expecting, but it certainly made my day.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment